Mass during these early years in Narromine was celebrated in the Court House by Father Curran, who was pastor to Narromine, Trangie and Nevertire.
In 1892, Father Curran built a wooden church, 49 feet in length for the cost of 159 pounds and 10 shillings. His builder, Mr W. H. Muller of Trangie.
On 18th January, 1904, The Sisters of Mercy came to Narromine, into a weatherboard cottage on the present Dandaloo Street and 1st Avenue. About 100 primary and infant school children were taught in the original wooden church.
In 1911 the first brick church was built and dedicated to Saint Augustine by Bishop Dunne.
In 1916 the Narromine Sisters of Mercy moved into a new, two storied Convent, which is still standing today.
In 1918 the Rev. Joseph Brahman arrived from Broken Hill to become the first resident Parish Priest. He was met at the railway by a large crowd and dined at The Federal Hotel.
That night at the Hotel, it was decided to build a Presbytery immediately as Narromine was the last major town before "The West" began and travelling clergy needed a base from which to begin and end their journeys. Of course, during these early years, the clergy, like everyone else, had to travel by horse and buggy. Imagine what a long, hot and sticky trip it would be from Narromine to Broken Hill in those days!!
In the original photograph in the entrance way, you can actually see the old stables at the rear of the building where the horses were hitched and rested for the night.
is why the building is quite extensive. It was never meant to accomodate
just the one Parish priest, but was used by all the travelling clergy
into Western NSW.
|NEXT ARTICLE: BUILDING THE CHURCH >>>|